Saturday, June 16, 2012

Review: Lisa Scottoline's Novels

Recently, I had a Polish-American roommate.  Her parents were over so much that I started calling them the in-laws.  The mom, Cheryl, decided that because I'm Italian-American, I must automatically fulfill certain stereotypes.  After discussing pizza, crusty bread, and the true identity of oregano (it's Greek, actually), she told me about this mystery series written by Lisa Scottoline.  Like always, I was somewhat dubious to read something written by a woman.  Not that women can't write, mind you -- it just has an unfortunate tendency to descend into romance.  Well, one day my roommate returned from the in-laws, and sure enough, Cheryl had sent along four of these books: Mistaken Identity, Moment of Truth, the Vendetta Defense, and...I forgot already.  It's the only one I haven't read yet.

The premise of these books is that they follow the murder cases taken on by the all-female firm of Rosato & Associates.  Run by Benedetta "Bennie" Rosato, backed up by senior associates Judy Carrier and Mary DiNunzio, the Philadelphia-based firm gets into one ugly mess after another.  If all criminal defense lawyers got into as many gunfights and bombing incidents as these girls, they might actually deserve their pay for risking their lives.  Also: Italian-American culture is everywhere.  It's one of the things that links the characters, even the ones outside it.

The books are written pretty well.  Scottoline knows her law, having been a lawyer herself.  And I have no complaints concerning her ability to portray both men and women realistically.  Vulgarities appear irregularly, which makes me question their inclusion, however, since there is a significant audience that avoids profanity in print.  And the cases are always obvious before the big ta-dah, the reveal at the end.  Agatha Christie, she ain't.  And, of course, three books in, I've been introduced to what, six different relationships, past and current, of the main three characters.  DEAR SWEET GOD, WHY MUST THEY INSIST ON ROMANCE?!

But they are entertaining.  I don't think I'll ever go seeking out more, myself.  As much as I enjoy being reminded of my grandparents and the way I grew up  when I still lived up in Rhode Island, there's a little too much female appeal going on.  The female characters are being marketed to female readers.  I'd be happier with a more neutral approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Haters will be hatin', but please don't litter my blog with trollish behavior. Speak the truth, attack me, fine, but don't start fights with other visitors. This isn't YouTube.