While I work my summer job, I am distanced from my local library. Since I can't cover a thousand miles every three weeks, I've been limited to what my school library has for reading material, and academic libraries don't carry a lot of manga or murder mysteries. However, I have a friend who returns home frequently and can get books back and forth.
RIght now, he has out the first eight volumes of the manga adaptation of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This prompted us to search the light novel series, since he was wondering if the series was completed. Turns out the limited editions of books ten and eleven came out back on May 25th, and the regular editions are coming out the 15th of this month. The books are really one two-part release, The Secret of Haruhi Suzumiya, and end the series. Haruhi Suzumiya has been a bit of a phenomenon, one of those series any otaku worth their salt at least has heard of. This is admittedly my first time reading the series. I'm very interested in the ending, particularly because my friend pointed out how everything really could be caused by Kyon, not Haruhi. It's a good theory, with a lot of merit.
1) Kyon is the one who makes the speech at the beginning about the ordinariness of life. When Haruhi brings up the possibilities of aliens, time travelers, sliders, and espers, Kyon doesn't know what sliders are, but one of each of the other three gather around.
2) When Haruhi gets into a funk, Kyon is the one who pulls her out. He may not realize it, but he loves her, and wants her happy. Maybe his mutual displeasure opens the "closed spaces"?
3) Haruhi always misses out on seeing all of the supernatural, unusual things she's causing, but Kyon witnesses them all.
4) Things usually work out in order to make Haruhi happy. Couldn't this just be more of Kyon acting on her behalf? She's also never aware of anything strange happening, the same as all of the ordinary students in the class.
5) If Kyon is God, it wouldn't be that hard for Haruhi, as the catalyst for his powers, to act as a sort of middle man for the energy transmission.
Again, that's my friend's theory, and I personally think the writing won't prove that complicated, but it's not impossible for a light novel. I'm looking forward to the time when the English translation comes around, though I may have to wait for the manga adaptation instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Haters will be hatin', but please don't litter my blog with trollish behavior. Speak the truth, attack me, fine, but don't start fights with other visitors. This isn't YouTube.